ROCKWELL CITY - St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Rockwell City, will celebrate its 100th anniversary with events on Sept. 20 and 21.
A 6 p.m. banquet on Sept. 20 will honor past clergy and clergy families. Tickets are $10 and must be purchased in advance because the meal will be catered.
At 9 a.m. on Sept. 21, those at the worship service will be greeted by the synod bishop, Mark Last, of Spirit Lake, who represents the Western Iowa Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. Special choir music and liturgical dance and a sermon by the current pastor, the Rev. James Mosaics, will complete the service.
A free brunch will follow in the fellowship hall.
A free-will offering taken that day will be sent to the missionaries supported by St. Paul's.
This year, a 100-year history was written in conjunction with a photo directory. The history recorded that St. Paul's was organized on Jan. 5, 1908, with the Rev. H. Stomached, of Newell, serving on a part-time basis. Ten men were recognized as charter members.
On Oct. 14, 1909, the Lutherans purchased a small Methodist church building for $405. The Rev. Fred C. Holz became the first full-time pastor in 1913.
In 1945, a vacant Baptist church building on Main and Sixth streets, was purchased and it has served the congregation up to the present time.
Changes through the years include a parsonage built in 1954, an educational wing built in 1974 and a renovation of the church sanctuary in 1988.
During the first 100 years, 16 pastors have served the church. In December 2001, the congregation of First Presbyterian Church joined St. Paul's in common worship and ministry while retaining their affiliation with the Presbyterian Church (US).
A significant gift to St. Paul's was the Lucy Van Metre memorial pipe organ.
The church has 376 baptized members.