GILMORE CITY - St. John's Catholic Church in Gilmore City will celebrate 125 years since the establishment of the parish with and 11 a.m. Mass on June 7 followed by a catered meal in the parish center.
With the coming of the railroad through Gilmore City in 1882, pioneers bought land and established homes in the area. By 1884, a Catholic parish was formed, meeting in log cabin homes.
That congregation was first served by the Rev. Matthew Norton, who maintained residence at the St. Patrick's on the Lizard rectory.
St. John's Catholic church and rectory were built in 1889, and the Rev. Timothy Sullivan was appointed the first resident priest. In 1895, St. Patrick's became a mission of St. John's.
In 1905, St. John's purchased the public school building, renovated it and opened in 1911 to eight grades, adding one high school class for the next four years and teaching all 12 grades until the high school closed in 1937.
A new school was built in 1966, but it remained open only through 1971. Since then the building had become known to the community as St. John's Parish Center.
Through the years, from the local parishioners came six nuns and three priests. The last resident priest was the Rev. Tim Fitzgerald, until about 1998.
The church is now served with a Saturday evening Mass by the priest from St. Mary's in Humboldt, the Rev. William Schreiber.