Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

Altman, Newkirk appear in court

Both facing felony charges after chase

February 24, 2011
By LINDSEY MUTCHLER Messenger staff writer

After leading Fort Dodge police on a high-speed chase through the city Tuesday evening, the two men apprehended appeared in Webster County Magistrate Court Wednesday morning.

Jeremy Altman, 29, of Fort Dodge, was charged with two counts of violation of probation, escaping from the Fort Dodge Residential Correctional Facility and two counts of eluding law enforcement along with a slew of traffic violations, including speeding and reckless driving.

Nicholas Newkirk, 21, of Fort Dodge, was arrested on three felony counts of forgery and fourth-degree theft. According to criminal complaints filed, Newkirk allegedly tried to defraud First Federal Savings Bank by forging withdrawal slips on Feb.1 and Feb. 2 totaling $1,100.

Police had been searching for Altman since he allegedly escaped from the Fort Dodge Residential Correctional Facility in November 2010, according to a criminal complaint filed. Altman had been placed in the facility for a felony conviction of domestic assault, stalking and willful injury, according to Iowa Courts Online records.

The criminal complaint against Altman also cited two prior felony convictions.

On Tuesday, Altman and Newkirk were spotted in a 1998 Bonneville by Fort Dodge Police Officer Donald McClaren. The men took off after police tried to pull them over for a routine traffic stop leading to a high-speed chase in residential neighborhoods that lasted nearly eight minutes.

Altman was believed to be armed, according to a press release from the Fort Dodge Police Department.

The duo stopped briefly near the intersection of 11th Avenue South and South 22nd Street where Newkirk was apprehended. Altman sped off in the Bonneville.

The chase ended after Altman lost control of the vehicle in the 1600 block of Eighth Avenue North and fled on foot, according to the press release. Police apprehended him on the porch of a nearby house. He was taken to Trinity Regional Medical Center where he was medically cleared, and then transported to the Webster County Jail.

Altman's violation of probation charges were transferred to District Court. A bond review and preliminary hearing was set for March 3 on the charges of escape from a residential facility and two counts of eluding law enforcement. The traffic violations were continued for 180 days, and his bond was set at $9,000.

A preliminary hearing and bond review for Newkirk was set for March 2. His bond was set at $20,000.

Contact Lindsey Mutchler at (515) 573-2141 or



I am looking for: