A garage was destroyed and two people received minor injuries after a fire in Fort Dodge late Monday afternoon.
Firefighters were dispatched to the blaze at 821 Home Ave., which is located on the corner of North Ninth Street and Home Avenue.
Fort Dodge Fire Lt. Mitch Halverson said next-door neighbors were burning garbage when a wooden fence caught on fire. That fire spread to the garage, which is owned by Doug and Patricia Wilson.
"The garage is a total loss and the pickup inside is a total loss," Halverson said. "But there was only minor damage to the house."
Firefighter Matt Brown said two people were treated for injuries, but he said it appeared their injuries were not life-threatening.
"One person was treated for heat exhaustion and one was treated for anxiety," Brown said.
Firefighters declined to identify the injured, citing privacy laws.
Brown said when firefighters arrived on scene, the garage was completely engulfed.
"We made a quick attack on the fire and were able to put it out fairly quickly," he said.
However, extinguishing the blaze was made difficult because a flammable liquid had apparently leaked onto the garage floor. Brown said firefighters believe it was probably caused by a leaky gas tank. They don't suspect arson, he said.
Brown said although the fire was raging when firefighters got there, it didn't take them long to get it under control.
"It's a hot day, and we were able to get it knocked out pretty quickly," he said.
Halverson said the fire remains under investigation.