Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Three hurt in Harcourt blaze

Family awakens to 15-foot-high flames

August 23, 2012
By BILL SHEA, bshea@messengernews.net , Messenger News

HARCOURT - Three people were hurt when a fire ravaged a Harcourt house Thursday morning, causing part of the second floor to collapse into the first floor.

Sam Dorman, the owner of the house at 211 Wood St., said his son, his son's girlfriend and his grandson were treated at Trinity Regional Medical Center in Fort Dodge. They were out of the hospital by Thursday afternoon.

Dorman said he and his family were awakened by smoke detectors just after 5 a.m. He said that he and his wife, Kathy, came out of their first floor bedroom and saw 15-foot-high flames on the front porch.

Article Photos

-Messenger photo by Bill Shea
A Thursday morning fire in Harcourt injured three people

"After that it just kept getting worse and worse," he said.

His son, Joe Dorman; his son's girlfriend, Charlene Vorhees; and his 8-year-old grandson, Kaden Dorman; were sleeping upstairs. Vorhees and the boy came downstairs and went outside. Joe Dorman kicked an air conditioner out of a window and climbed out onto the roof of a one-story addition to the house. He sat on the roof for several minutes until a ladder was raised to him.

Sam Dorman said all three suffered minor smoke inhalation. He said Vorhees suffered burns on her hands, face, nose and lips. Joe Dorman had a foot injury.

Kaden Dorman's hair was singed as he escaped the fire, and his grandfather said he is now asking for a haircut.

The fire was reported at 5:24 a.m., according to Harcourt Fire Chief Matt Nahnsen. He said the front of the house was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.

Embers from the blaze were blown toward the nearby home of the Rev. Craig Vote. According to Sam Dorman, Vote used a garden hose to wet down his house until firefighters took over.

The fire started on the front porch. An electrical outlet there was being examined as a possible cause of the blaze.

Firefighters from Harcourt, Dayton, Callender and Gowrie responded, along with the Southwest Webster Emergency Medical Service from Gowrie. Nahnsen was still on the scene with one fire truck Thursday afternoon.

The house will be torn down and it will not be rebuilt, according to Sam Dorman. He said he and his family will move somewhere else in the Harcourt area.

 
 

 

I am looking for: