A garage and a car parked inside of it were destroyed in a smoky Friday night fire in Fort Dodge.
No one was injured and firefighters prevented the blaze from spreading to another garage just a few feet away.
Fort Dodge Fire Department Capt. Paul Neeson said the incident at 215 N. 14th St. was caused by an electric space heater placed too close to some combustible materials.
-Messenger photo by Hans Madsen
A Fort Dodge firefighter works at putting out a garage fire Friday night at 215 N. 14th St. as the property tenant, Tim Jones, sprays water into the structure.
Josh Westall, who lives next door at 211 N. 14th St., said he learned about the fire when someone came to his door and told him his neighbor's garage was burning. Westall said he went outside and backed his wife's van down the driveway so that it would be farther away from the flames.
Then Westall grabbed his garden hose and climbed onto the wooden fence that separates his property from that of his neighbor. In the minutes before firefighters arrived, he used the garden hose to put out flames that were spreading across the lawn toward the fence. He next directed the small stream toward the garage.
Tim Jones, who lives at 215 N. 14th St., also used a garden hose to try to put out the blazing garage.
Neeson said the fire was initially reported to be at the Medical Arts Building, 1428 Second Ave. N., which is about a block east of the garage. He said he drove the Fire Department's sport utility vehicle into the Medical Arts Building parking lot and spotted the fire through a fence.
The fire was reported at about 7:15 p.m.
Westall said the Jones family has lived there for about a month.
Neeson said the garage and a 1994 Acura Integra parked inside were destroyed.
City firefighters and police were on the scene for about an hour. Three off-duty firefighters were called back to work to assist.