POMEROY - The Pomeroy fire department spent six hours fighting a house fire Saturday night. No one was hurt, but the building was a total loss, said Fire Chief Greg Marquart.
The fire was reported a little after 8 p.m. at the home of Wayne Bridwell, on the corner of South Main and West Sixth streets, Marquart said.
The fire began in the attached garage, then spread to an adjoining shed and the house.
"They were out of the house before we got there," Marquart said. "They were able to save some family heirlooms, but that's about it. They were lucky, it spread in through the roof. The attic and the roof took most of it, and that's what fell down. From what I saw, it's a total loss."
The fire department believes the fire started in a wood-burning stove in the garage.
The Jolly, Knoke and Manson Fire Departments were called for mutual aid, and the Rockwell City department was called in for water.