To the editor:
President Barack Obama deserves re-election. He has accomplished amazing things under the most difficult of circumstances.
Mitch McConnell, the Senate Republican leader, upon Obama's election declared that the overriding goal of Republicans in Congress was to ensure the defeat of the president in 2012. Then Republicans set out to oppose systematically every initiative of the administration, regardless of the merits.
Nevertheless, the president was able to:
1. Prevent a disastrous economic plunge from turning into a full-out depression.
2. Save the American automobile industry.
3. Turn massive job losses around, and then create new jobs for 30 straight months.
4. End the war in Iraq.
5. Set a prudent timetable to end the war in Afghanistan in 2014.
6. Kill Osama bin Laden and destroy the effective leadership of al-Qaida.
7. Pass through Congress a major health care bill that will ensure better insurance. coverage for millions of Americans, prevent exclusion for pre-existing conditions, lower costs over both the short ands long term, and protect doctor/patient relationships.
8. Repair our tarnished standing with nations in all corners of the globe.
9. End discrimination against gays in the military.
10. Set us on a course to energy independence.
The Republicans in the House of Representatives and/or the U.S. Senate blocked virtually all of Obama's plans to improve the economy for the simple reason that they wanted him to fail. Nevertheless, Obama has not failed. He has succeeded against all odds.
I hope that voters can see through the relentless rain of misinformation about the president and cast their votes to give him the second term he fully deserves.