Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

Morning fire destroys FD home

Short in extension cord causes blaze, FDFD says

December 28, 2012
By JOE SUTTER, , Messenger News

A house fire caused extensive damage but no serious injuries Thursday morning.

The Fort Dodge Fire Department responded to the fire at 223 L St. just after 8 a.m. Joe Mrozek was home at the time, according to Fire Capt. Paul Neeson. Mrozek escaped the fire, and was transported to Trinity Regional Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.

The house belongs to Tracy Allen Young, according to the Webster County Assessor's office.

Article Photos

-Messenger photo by Joe Sutter
Fort Dodge firefighters continue to work on a house fire at 8:47 a.m. Thursday. The firefighters responded to the fire at 223 L Street shortly after 8 a.m.

Neeson said flames could be seen shooting out of the home as the fire crews crossed the Kenyon Road Bridge. On arrival, they found the first floor of the two-story residence fully involved. The flames were put out within 15 minutes.

The building was deemed a complete loss.

The fire was caused by a shorted-out extension cord, according to the Fire Department's investigation. There was one space heater in the home that was connected, but this was not the cause of the fire, Neeson said.

Five off-duty firefighters were called back for assistance, and MidAmerican Energy responded to the scene to shut off power and gas.



I am looking for: