Fort Dodge firefighters battled flames and frigid temperatures when a blaze ignited Thursday afternoon at the New Star Mini Mart.
Firefighters had to tear off part of the roof of the store at 1923 Fifth Ave. S.
No one was injured.
-Messenger photo by Hans Madsen
Fort Dodge firefighter Jason Vandi tears through the roof of the New Star Mini Mart Thursday afternoon
Traffic on Fifth Avenue South near the store was restricted to one lane in each direction during the fire.
The incident was reported at 4:05 p.m.
Fire Department Capt. Mitch Sells said a store employee, Mohammed Butte, smelled smoke and looked for the source of the odor. He said Butte went outside and saw smoke coming from the roof at the back of the building.
The fire was between the roof and ceiling of the building. Firefighters used hose lines inside the building and on the roof to douse the fire. Up to five firefighters worked on the roof, cutting holes and peeling off roofing materials.
Sells said an electrical short circuit in an exhaust fan in the bathroom caused the fire.
Four off-duty firefighters were called to the scene to help.
Firefighters and police officers were on the scene until 6:30 p.m.
Electricity to the store was shut off, and it was expected to be closed Friday.