Music is only part of the show at many concerts these days. Unfortunately, death sometimes is on stage, too.
Recently, people in West Warwick, R.I., observed a grim anniversary. It was 10 years ago that 100 people perished in a nightclub fire there, when pyrotechnics used by the band caught the building on fire.
Earlier this year, 235 people died in a Brazilian nightclub when a band's fireworks show turned into a disaster.
The list of such tragedies is longer than you may think: Among the worst were 174 deaths in Argentina in 2004, 61 in Thailand in 2008 and 112 in Russia in 2009. Indoor fireworks mishaps occur regularly throughout the world.
In many states, legislators are considering beefing up fireworks regulations to include an absolute ban on use of any type of pyrotechnics inside public places.
Will some promoters of concerts and various types of shows complain? Certainly. Will a few refuse to perform here? Possibly.
But that is a small price to pay for banning a practice that clearly is dangerous - and all too often results in deaths by the dozen, or even hundreds.