Passersby Greg Estlund and Nick Meyer noticed smoke coming out of an apartment house at 1227 First Ave. N. and called 911 about 7:20 a.m. today.
The two began knocking on doors and waking occupants of the building, all of whom safely got out of the house.
Fort Dodge firefighters are on the scene, working to extinguish the blaze on the second floor.
-Messenger photo by Barbara Wallace Hughes Flames are visible from an apartment house at 1227 First Ave. N. at about 7:30 a.m. today. Occupants of the building were awakened by passersby and got out safely.