Second Street Emporium closes
WEBSTER CITY — Everyone deserves and hopes for second chances. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t.
The owners of the 2nd Street Emporium in downtown Webster City had to admit that it wasn’t working. It was announced Monday on social media that the 2nd Street Emporium is now closed permanently.
“It’s an unfortunate circumstance,” said Anna Woodward, director of the Webster City Area Chamber of Commerce. “We hope to see the building maintenance resolved and welcome a new restaurant in the future.”
Emporium owners Georgina Santiago and Ignacio Gonzales reopened the well-known restaurant in November 2023, hoping to bring back the pre-Covid success once enjoyed by previous owners Scott and Candy Rector.
With a new landlord, they kept the same decor, same seating and quiet atmosphere. Their smaller rooms allowed for private dining. It was a great venue to relax with loved ones, to hold a business meeting or to gather with friends.
Santiago and Gonzales brought a slightly different menu, including some distinctive seafood dishes, steaks and appetizers with a nice variety of side dishes. It was a mixed American menu, with flavorful dishes, good quality entrees and unusual dishes priced affordably.
According to the Travel Iowa statistic, 67% of all people who visit Webster City dine out at a local restaurant. Webster City has a number of ethnic and American style restaurants, but a recent survey by the Chamber of Commerce identified a desire for more restaurants.
“All of our small businesses need our support, but the solutions are going to be broader,” said Woodward. “We hope the First Impressions program will help us in all sectors. We’ve been able to learn a lot from Stephanie Neppl and the State Tourism resources they provide during the last month.”
“We are all appreciative of Georgina and Ignacio and the role they played in downtown Webster City,” Woodward said. “They had a true entrepreneurial spirit and were risk takers. We are thankful for their investment in Webster City.”